Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:54:15 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        howardjp@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in
Subject:   Re: Why?

On 6/29/00, 6:02:45 PM, Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org> wrote regarding=20
Re: Why?:

> James Howard wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> >
> > > The people to whom you are referring once used to believe that the=
 Sun
> > > rotated around the Earth, the latter being fixed at the center/re =
of
> > > the universe; in those days, if you did not agree, you ran the ris=
k of
> > > being burned alive at the stake ...
> >
> > So you are advocating buring Linux users at the stake?  If you=20
insist...

>       You know, some of us work very hard to convince new users that=20
they
> won't get savaged when they post to -questions. If you absolutely=20
can't
> live with yourself if you don't demonstrate how clever you are by
> denigrating another person, at least move it to -chat where the new=20
user
> is less likely to see it.

> Thanks,

> Doug

[ redirected to -chat ]

Dear Doug Barton,

thank you very much for writing.

I am afraid Mr Howard has completely missed the point.=20

Evidently, I was ironically referring to those who still (!) have=20
serious problems with "daemons"; an amusing episode relating to such=20
persons is also found in "The Complete FreeBSD".=20

Incidentally, it may not be the case for the original poster --=20
despite his message, and despite what a number of people may have=20
thought, too.=20

I have recently written a relatively long letter to -doc, pointing out=20
the semantic evolution (and spectrum) of the Greek word "daimon" (from=20
Homer to the New Testament; "daiomai" & "daimon", etc.); to which=20
letter, as may have been noticed, I referred the original poster. =20

On the other hand, there could not have been **any** reference to=20
Linux (or other Unix[es]) people: they are supposed to be familiar=20
with daemons and the like, and they are supposed to know where the=20
word comes from.

Essentially, Mr Howard's problem seems to be "hermeneutic[al]" (from=20
Greek "hermeneuo" ~ "I interpret"); his manners, at any rate, speak=20
for themselves.

Finally, as you probably know from my previous posts to the forum(s),=20
I have been running a number of OSes including Linux: a fortiori, I=20
could not have made **similar** comments on Linux people.   =20

Best regards,
Salvo