Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:03:46 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rene Ladan <rene@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DRI initialiazation fails on 8.0-BETAx/M54

on 02/09/2009 00:31 Robert Noland said the following:
> On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 21:26 +0200, Rene Ladan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it looks like DRI initalization sometimes fails on my 8.0-BETA3/amd64
>> (official freebsd-update) laptop which has a ATI M54 card (radeonhd
>> driver), reverting to software rendering for everything. The ports are
>> up-to-date.
>>
>>  From Xorg.0.log:
>> (EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomGetDDCIndex: GPIO_DDC Index 6 exceeds maximum 5
>> ..
>> (EE) RADEONHD(0): [pci] Out of memory (-12)
>> (EE) RADEONHD(0): [pci] PCI failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
>> ..
>> (II) RADEONHD(0): Using MMIO Command Submission for aceleration.
>>
>> Full xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log(.old) are at ftp://rene-ladan/pub/freebsd/
>>
>> Any clues?  Could it be related to hald giving timeouts on acd0 after which
>> I just kill that hald subprocess and starting X after that?
>
> Is this happening when you start X after the system has been up for a
> bit?  I suspect that what is happening is that memory has become
> fragmented and since bus_dma tries to allocate large chunks of
> contiguous memory for drm, it has a tendency to fail after the system
> has been running for a bit.  This ultimately needs to be fixed in
> bus_dma, but that hasn't happened yet.

BTW, I have a different but potentially related problem - after running a
head/current system for a while I am losing an ability to start VirtualBox. It
complains about something "no memory" too.
The system is amd64 with 4G of RAM with only a handful of processes started.
Maybe we got some regression in memory area (e.g. pmap)?

--
Andriy Gapon