Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:18:04 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        Alwyn Schoeman <alwyns@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux vs FreeBSD Flame War (again) - was Re: More Info

Hi,  just though I'd stir the flames some more.

>On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 01:39:29AM +0000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
>> 1) kernel compilation: freebsd vs. linux
>> 2) kernel, userland and ports organization in FreeBSD as opposed to
>> the fragmented, incoherent organization in Linux;
>> 3) FreeBSD stability;
>> 4) (flame bait ;-) FreeBSD is a high-quality OS, designed by some of
>> the brightest Computer Scientists in the world. BTW, you should read a
>> little Unix history. Ex nihilo nihil fit :-)
>>
>> N.B. strictly speaking, Linux is NOT Unix.
>
>Personaly:
>1) Linux kernel configuration is better than freebsd, especially if you
>don't come from BSD background.  Why should an ethernet card have
different
>names? ep0, ed0???

Kernel configuration is nicer in Linux due to make xconfig, but at least
you have to know roughly what you're talking about to build a BSD kernel,
therefore making your system more likely to boot afterwards.  I moved from
Linux to BSD due to it's greater varsatility.  Wnat two bt848 cards?  Just
add the line:

controller     bktr1

Simple.  Plus the network interface names dont cause as much trouble.
Example:-  My system has 2x DEC 21040 cards and 1x 3COM 3c509 card.  All
used.  eth0, eth1, eth2 is not helpful.  de0, de1, ep0 is!

>2) I'm impressed with the way ports work, being used to RPM's I quickly
noticed
>some shortcomings. If RPM is used correctly, ports are no match.
>Recently FreeBSD's not so great filesystem got corrupted. Guess what got
damaged? Package >information, so now I can't get any information on
installed packages.UPgrading ports, I mean >installed ports? Probably the
only point its got going
>for it against RPM is that its easier to stay up to date.
>Kernel and userland I would about rate the same.

RPM always causes problems - Try installing a RedHat RPM on a Caldera 2.2
system and watch it die.  There is no defined standard across RPM per
Vendor.  Ports on the other hand are system specific and well maintained.
There are very few (if any) rogue ports out there, but RPMS need checking
thoroughly before putting on a secure system.

>3) Both are so stable you can't tell the difference.

True

>4) Ditto for both.

True

>5) Security. Both FreeBSD and Linux installs with tight security lately,
check
>out the latest Mandrake (beta), if you're not careful you end up with a
dumb and deaf box. Tight >security in above is meant as with minimal
services, etc.

My Last RedHat Install (6.1) - a couple of weeks ago caused several
concerns.  Such as the following:-  Why does it always ask for a password
on superuser commands in normal users.  This tempts 'players'.  In FreeBSD,
just dont add the user to the wheel group and they cant do anything at all
nasty!

>Is a 2 wheel vehicle with a door and round steering tool, a bicycle or a
car?

I'l have the roaring 4.6-litre V8 Land Rover of FreeBSD, while you can have
the Volkswagen of Linux.  Land-rovers are very reliable, fun and do exactly
what you want _everywhere_.  When you buy one of these you'll never change
it!  _Everyone_ has volkswagens because they're reliable, well-built and
over-publicised.  Take your pick.  I'd rather be different and have a
proper UNIX system (as the original message states).

>Just my R 0.02, which would relate too $0, or 0 euro.

Chris Smith
Raytheon Sytems Limited.