Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:02:13 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Selecting a specific list of ports to update

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:57:36PM -0500, Daniel Goepp wrote:
> [...]

You could use portupgrade with the --noexecute option to figure out
which ports have a newer version.  There may be a better way, but a line
like:

# portupgrade --noexecute openssl* | grep Upgrading
--->  Upgrading 'openssl-0.9.6g_1' to 'openssl-0.9.6h' (security/openssl)
#

...let's you know that you could upgrade from your current version of
0.9.6g_1 to 0.9.6h.  You could use this output to do various things.
Alternatively, but maybe not wisely, if you want specific ports to be
updated unconditionally via a cron job just use an appropriate
portupgrade command in your script.

Nathan

#