Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:52:07 -0700
From:      "Aaron Siegel" <bulk_mail@siegel-tech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting Kolab

Hello

After years of watching the Kolab/kgroupware project I have finally decide to
give it a try. Unfortunately Kolab is distributed using Openpkg the reason I
have put off installing the server. I do not want to use two different
package management systems on my computer especially if one of them is a rpm
based system. I have never liked using rpms even when I was running Red Hat.

I have decided to start the porting Kolab server to Freebsd I am hoping to
incorporate it into the ports collection and abandon the openpkg stuff. There
are people running  and developing Kolab on Freebsd system so I know there
are not any system level compatibility problems. I have started  the porting
process by cross referencing the openpkg names to the FreeBSD ports. As of
now I only see two packages that require a  patch specific to Kolab,
cyrus-imap and  apache. Kolab use five application that are not
in the FreeBSD ports collection, fsl (a wrapper for ossp-l2), kolabd,
kolab-webadmin, kolab-resource-handlers, and perl-kolab. These list are in a
preliminary state, I have not cross referenced all the Perl packages yet nor
have I confermined all the ports name match the openpkg names.

Has anyone else thought of performing this port? Is there a discusion in the
FreeBSD community on openpkg and how it may or may not be incorporated into
the system?

Aaron