Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:53:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Eric C. S. Dynamic" <ecsd@transbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a number of random questions.

In general, multipart questions like this are frowned upon, but they're
pretty simple.

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Eric C. S. Dynamic wrote:

> 1. I've heard there is support for Connectix QuickCam. Where do I find
>    out more, how do I distinguish color vs. b/w for the system or is
>    that automatic.

Only the b&w golf ball is supported at current.  There are several Linux
libs and at least one of them is trying to keep it system-independent.

Use `qcamcontrol' to grab PPM images from the cam, then pipe through cjpeg
or your favorite filter to get the desired image type.

> 3. I've been wanting to establish a mirror site for a while.

Info is on the web site, http://www.freebsd.org/ in the Handbook I
believe.

> 4. Can I run routed and mrouted on the same machine without causing
>    headaches?

I think so.  Multicast and unicast are two different monsters for the most
part.

> 5. What sort of 'programme' is there for freebsd folks to go after
>    major vendors to offer to port popular commercial products to
>    freebsd? I hassle vendors now and then, symantec, netscape, adobe,
>    etc. but of course they never reply with anything useful.

Nothing as of yet, but I'd be in favor of such a campaign if someone
wanted to put the effort into it.

> 6. Does anyone know what I do to enable Apache to handle the "microsoft
>    front page extensions"?

Download the BSDi version and follow instructions.

> 7. Whatever happened to 'units'?

I've got it in /usr/bin, dated Oct 20, which is about when I upgraded to
the 2.2.5-BETA I'm currently on.

> 8. Instead of being a ditz, I should (a) subscribe to which freebsd
>    mailing lists, (b) which pertinent newsgroups?

Depends on what you want to know.  The web page should be your first stop
for support issues.  Between the Handbook, FAQ, Tutorials, and the mailing
list archives, you should be set.  If you want a greater level of
involvement, feel free to subscribe to whatever list(s) interest you.
Warning: some lists contain a high level of traffic.

> 9. We run a computer storefront, and would like to advocate FreeBSD
>    as a more-than-viable component of an office network.

Sounds cool!  This would be a neat item for our `sales items' on the front
of the FreeBSD web page, kind of like `how this company uses our product'
type of articles you see on most vendor homepages. ;-)