Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 97 10:44:20 Pacific Standard Time
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        Dan Busarow  <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig alias problem/question.

> > > Change this to 'ifconfig ep0 inet xxx.xxx.xxx.bbb netmask
255.255.255.255
> > > alias' and it should work.
> >
> > I can't make the netmask *.255, it has to be *.192 for my segmented
network or
> > I won't make it through the firewall. :(
>
> Sure it will.  The ifconfig statement for the non-aliased IP already
> setup the route.  The alias entry sets up a host route, that's all
> you need.  Really :)

Actually you are right, I somehow didn't see the 'alias' on the second line
and didn't know that you could change the netmask for an alias.  I think I'm
going to go that way as it will be less changes in the furure to rember!

Thanks for the help!

> >                              (I am going to be upgrading this
> > system to 2.2 when that goes -R)
>
> Good plan but it won't make any difference re the aliased IP's.

True, but I think some one mentioned that it has a place in the sysconfig for
aliases so you don't have to add lines to the netstart by hand.

-Sean
Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 03/10/97 10:44:21