Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:24:09 -0600
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 GB?

In my experience, this type of problem has always turned out to be
hardware. The more memory DIMMs you install in a MB the more likely it
is to happen. I was able to _finally_ get my two dual Athlon systems
with Tyan S2460 MBs to work with 1GB (4 256MB DIMMs for a total of 8
banks of memory), but only after replacing the MBs with newer revisions.
Prior to doing that, I had one of them (with the older rev MB) run fine
for 2 months before failing.

It might be software in your case, but I certainly wouldn't rule out
hardware!

Bob

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:41:23PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> We have several new machines with 2 GB of RAM, all of which get random
> signals during compilations. If we reduce them to 1.5 GB they work fine.
> Is there anything we need to be tweaking to make 2 GB work?
>
> This is running 4.4-RELEASE.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>
> --
> http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html       http://www.thebunker.net/
>
> "There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he
> doesn't mind who gets the credit." - Robert Woodruff

Bob Willcox             Boucher's Observation:
bob@vieo.com               He who blows his own horn always plays the music
Austin, TX                 several octaves higher than originally written.