Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 23:08:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Kraft <kraft@hpcs14.dv.fal.de>
To:        cattelan@thebarn.com (Russell Cattelan)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rec levels on es1371

Yuhuu!

Russell Cattelan wrote:

> I finally dragged my es1371 card into work (I have a 3.3 install here)
>
> Let me ask you this... are you having trouble adjusting the line rec level
> via DAP? or will mixer? or both?
>
> I did some simple tests
> mixer line x   adjusts the the levels.
> mixer rec x    doesn't

Exactly the same, here.

And now I succeeded. Previously I only tried to adjust th recording
signal using the line fader. I never touched the rec fader.

Today I did - and it worked. So for recording from the PCI 128 with ES1371
and Russels driver and using DAP, the line fader only affects the sound
output volume (during recording). The recording volume is defined by the
rec fader and can be adjusted to a useful range (in my case) this way.

The result is not overwhelming, but a little better than with the SB 16.
More open and more direct, I think, I also hear a little bit more noise.
May be, the SB 16 cuts a bit from the heights.

So it seems, it was not a problem of the driver nor of DAP but of the
bad operator (me). :-)

The other thing: Some days ago, I
mentioned some bad sound effects in loud parts of
the piece. Reducing the mixer volume and increasing my active speakers'
volume yielded an acceptable sound quality. Seems, that the line output
signal is very high. May be it can even drive a small passive speaker.
(I am almost shure, I choosed un-amplified "line signal" on the card.)

At this moment, everything seems acceptable for me. I will try to
record from analog source within the next weeks. Let's see ...

Many thanks!

Martin