Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:09:11 -0700
From:      "Darren Spruell" <phatbuckett@gmail.com>
To:        robert@webtent.com
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Imaging to new system

On Dec 30, 2007 11:47 AM, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net> wrote:
> > Running dump(8) and restore(8) would allow you to back up and restore
> > your system.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dump
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=restore
> >
> > This is typically used with tape, although you can dump to disk as well.
> >
> > If your data/system is critical, you ought to already have some backup
> > strategy you could restore the system from to your new RAID. If not,
> > you might put one in place (RAID != backups).
>
> Yes, of course, we have data backup and can restore after reinstalling
> everything, but I was looking for a complete system restore option. I'll
> look into these docs, thanks. There is no tape system, so I guess the
> only hope is if it can be dumped and restored from an NFS drive. From
> looking at the docs, it does appear this is possible, as long as the
> data in on a fs mounted by fstab?

Can be data on a mounted fs or an umounted filesystem altogether:

  'files-to-dump' is either a mountpoint of a filesystem or a list of files
  and directories on a single filesystem to be backed up as a subset of the
  filesystem.  In the former case, either the path to a mounted filesystem
  or the device of an unmounted filesystem can be used.  (dump(8))

DS