Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:45:17 +0200
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Tyler Sweet <tyler@tsweet.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.4 Boot failure

On 25. sep. 2013, at 06:59, Tyler Sweet <tyler@tsweet.net> wrote:
> I tried reinstalling the boot blocks from both
> the fixit live filesystem and also mounting zroot and using the files
> there in case they were different.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten (enough) morning-coffee yet, but...

Disclaimer 2: at times tracking how zfs-booting is done in the different ver=
sions can be a bit tricky. This is a moving target, and I've lost track of t=
he 8-branch.=20

That said, assuming you have the correct bootcode (gptzfsboot), here's what m=
ight have happened:

You installed 8.2, with a loader supporting zfs. Then you upgraded your /boo=
t-stuffs, and bootcode on disk (correctly), but got left with a loader witho=
ut zfs support. Then tried to upgrade the bootcode, but you're still left wi=
th a loader not supporting zfs.=20

If I recall correctly, then the zfs-bootcode for 9+ will use "zfsloader" (su=
pporting zfs and built by default), while earlier versions depend on "loader=
" with zfs support (built without by default).=20

If that's the case, you could dump LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT into /etc/make.conf an=
d rebuild/reinstall it, or install /boot/loader from the fixit (if it has zf=
s support in 8.4).=20

That's my first thought at least... If that  doesn't fix it (remember backup=
s of any files you replace or upgrade), it'd be interesting to see the outpu=
t of:
ls -l /boot/*loader /boot/*boot
On the /boot you're using. Anything that didn't get built or installed?

Also, did you snapshot your zfs before upgrading? Could be a working /boot/l=
oader there, which might be the easiest way to get the system up, before reb=
uilding with ZFS-capable loader... if I'm right, which isn't a given (ref di=
sclaimers).=20

Terje