Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:48:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Andrew_Werner/SSW/Lotus@lotus.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about remote root console

On Thursday, 23 July 1998 at 10:09:17 -0400, Andrew_Werner/SSW/Lotus@lotus.com wrote:
> I used to be on this list and back in March and April I saw a post about
> how it is possible to gain root from a login elsewhere than the console
> itself.  How is this done? I can't remember how to do this.  Any help you
> have would be appreciated.

If you're thinking of logging in as root directly via a modem to a
serial port, by default this works!  I consider this a bug (I've only
just discovered this).  Specifically, the serial ports are /dev/ttyd0
to /dev/ttyd3, and this is what's in the default /etc/ttys:

  console	none				unknown	off secure
  #
  ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
  # Virtual terminals
  ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
  ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
  ttyv3	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure
  # Serial terminals
  # The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
  ttyd0	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	dialup	off secure
  ttyd1	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	dialup	off secure
  ttyd2	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	dialup	off secure
  ttyd3	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	dialup	off secure

The word 'secure' at the end of the line means that you can log in as
root.  To disable root login, just remove the 'secure'.

Greg