Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:52:19 -0000
From:      "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@ec.is>
To:        <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on IBM Blade Center?

hi

no, I haven't been able to use any version of FreeBSD.
I did try to boot the IBM Blade on all of the available versions on =
ftp.freebsd.org ,, but with no success.

I got some info from the internet that FreeBSD version 4.1 would work, =
but I tried that and it didn't work.

when booting Blade from mounted iso or from cdrom install disk, I always =
stop in OK prompt, where I get error about the boot loader not finding =
kernel or device, when using the lsdev I find that the cdrom device is =
vanished, so there is no media to load kernel from, this happens both =
when trying to boot from mounted iso or the built in cdrom.

I've learned that the only way to boot the system is using FreeBSD =
floppies, that I upload to the usb flash memory, ie. I upload boot =
floppy, start the system, upload the kern1.flp when the system request =
it and then upload the second kern floppy etc.etc. until I get the =
system running in sysinstall for initial setup.
With that, I find that there is no hard disk available, no lun to mount =
from the DS400 SAN, only disk device is the USB flash memory.

The ISP driver is completely broken and not able to detect any disk =
device from my IBM Blade Center which has Qlogic 2312 FC controller.

When I contacted the IBM service for technical help on this severe =
problem, they informed me that this matter is 100% a FreeBSD problem, =
not anything that IBM should worry about, no help there.

This is very bad for me, as I've used FreeBSD as the foundation for my =
services, have been using it since 1993, and am forced to use Gentoo =
which has no problems with the IBM Blade.

If needed, I'm willing to work with any one that is capable on getting =
the IBM Blade to work and I'm also positive on giving some time for =
getting the FreeBSD to install and detect all hardware on my IBM Blade =
Center if needed.  I think this is something that FreeBSD community =
needs to get resolved quickly... as the Blade Centers are getting more =
popular day by day.

kve=F0ja / Best regards
Gestur

=20