Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:10:06 GMT
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Marcin_Wi=B6nicki?= <mwisnicki@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/127018: Linuxulator incapable of using FreeBSD's LDAP  environment

The following reply was made to PR ports/127018; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Marcin_Wi=B6nicki?= <mwisnicki@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de
Subject: Re: ports/127018: Linuxulator incapable of using FreeBSD's LDAP
	environment
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:05:49 +0100

 Just noticed this via mail to emulation@ and since I used to have LDAP
 in the past I'd like to contribute some feedback.

 The underlying problem is that LDAP integration is done through
 nsswitch (part of libc) and nss_ldap.so module (from ports). Linux has
 the same mechanism however linux-compiled glibc will obviously fail to
 load freebsd-native nss_ldap.so.
 I assume that to get LDAP in linuxulator one will first need to
 install linux version of nss_ldap and it's dependencies and then
 configure nsswitch in /compat/linux/etc as he would on real linux
 system. At this time however there are no ports for those libs.

 I believe that it's also possible to solve this problem in more
 general way by writing some kind of nscd(8) proxy that would translate
 between protocol used in freebsd and what is expected by glibc.