Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:51:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu, freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG, port-freebsd@openafs.org
Subject:   Re: afs port

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> On Feb 8/2001, George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu wrote:
> >Has the openAFS from IBM been ported to FreeBSD yet?
>
> Did anyone reply to this yet?
>
> There is a mailing list at the openafs site for the freebsd port, but
> there hasn't been a lot of activity on it.  I know someone was looking
> over the openafs code for freebsd, but I don't know what the current
> status is.

Last I heard, Tom Maher had a large (130kb+) patch to get the userland
code working.  However, that doesn't address the issue of the kernel
module, or whether the patch was complete (unlikely given the scale of the
task).  With regards to the kernel module, the best starting point is
probably to select the platform with the closest VFS layer to FreeBSD's,
and work from there.  In my view, the highest priority is really getting
the server-side working, given that Arla provides a quite workable AFS
client on FreeBSD already, and is well-maintained.  Unfortunately, I have
plenty on my plate already so am unlikely to make any forward progress in
active development.  Given semi-working code, I'd be glad to help debug
it and attempt to track nasty kernel bugs, of which I am sure there will
be plenty :-).