Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:00:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition with Partition Magic

> > I am using Partition Magic 3.02 and I have free space as a primary
> > partition.  The PC already has Linux, DOS 6, and Windows NT installed.
> > The pqmagict.exe shows there are three primary partitions available and
> > their sizes are 31.3MB, 4769.2MB, and 1349.2MB respectively.  The first
> > two are also shown in the DOS fdisk command.  The second primary partition
> > contains 7 subpartition: 4 labeled as Linux Ext2, 2 labeled as Linux swap,
> > and 1 labeled as NTFS (I guess this is for Windows NT).
> >
> > I insert CD-ROM and reboot from it.  At the FDISK screen, I see four
> > entries:
> >
> > offset    size      end   name  ptype   desc   subtype
> > 0         63       62      -     6      unused
> > 63      64197     64259   wd0s1  2      fat      4   <-- DOS
> > 64260   9767520   9831779 wd0s2  4      extended 5   <-- extended primary
> > 9831780 2363180  12594959 wd0s3  3      freebsd  165   CA
> >
> > My question is: How come FreeBSD regard the first entry as unused?  Why
> > Partition Magic does not show this entry (It only shows the last three,
> > wd0s1-wd0s3)? Why there are FOUR entries instead of THREE entries (each
> > represent a primary partition)?  Where does the extra entry (first one)
> > come from?
> >
> > By the way, I installed FreeBSD on another PC successfully and devoted ALL
> > disk space to FreeBSD on that machine.  Still, I got the mysterious first
> > entry labeled as unused.  I read in an installation tutorial that it is
> > for boot sectors.  But for this PC, where can we find those 62 sectors
> > that seems to be required by FreeBSD?
> >
> > Maybe I have to install FreeBSD FIRST (before other OSs) to make sure
> > FreeBSD can use the first 62 sectors.  I try to find the start sector of
> > the DOS partition to see if there is any conflict, but Partition Magic has
> > no such information for the first active DOS partition (I can get similar
> > information on other partitions).
> >
> > Anyway, I install FreeBSD on the last partition "successfully" and reboot.
> >
> > The System Commander does find the FreeBSD partition.  But when I try to
> > boot from it.  It says "read error" and the system halts.
> >
> Sounds like bad boot blocks.
> If you boot off of floppy, perhaps you can repair it.
> What version of FreeBSD is this?

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.8.  I bought 4 CDs from Walnut Creek.  Having read
some of the followups, I am still confused with the unexplained first
partition which is 62 sectors (its Ptype is 6 and labeled as "unused").
Even if I declare ALL disk space to FreeBSD on a machine, that partition
still occurs.

I hope someone can clarify this for us all.  What on earth is its purpose?