Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:03:06 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disassembling syscalls

[removing -questions; this is a technical question]

On Friday, 26 November 1999 at 13:51:50 -0500, Marc Tardif wrote:
> How can syscalls be disassembled on BSD?
>
> So far, I tried using ktrace -tc on compiled code using the syscall I
> wanted, but the output from kdump doesn't look like asm. I also tried
> using gdb directly, compiling the source with the -g and -static flags,
> but I couldn't use the disassemble command on the syscall which appeared
> in the output of 'disassemble main'.

I'm not sure what you want to do here.  Use a debugger for
disassembly.  But what do you really want to do?  And what do you mean
by 'syscall'?  The userland stub function, the interface, or the
kernel code which implements the call?  In any case, since we have the
source code to all of it, it's not clear that there's much to be
gained by disassembling them.

Greg