Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:27:48 -0800
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ES1869 Sound Config Trouble  ( was: Trouble configuring sound on a Compaq Presar

Hey all!

Thanks for the help so far, but I have some issues concering the configuration.  Hopefully together we can figure it out.

I have searched through the archives (questions, hardware, multimedia) using ES1869 is my seach phrase and found some interesting stuff, but no concrete answers.

I did some LINT reading and found something to add t the kernel config (options PNPBIOS), then I recompiled and rebooted.  This time it got dectected, so it seems I'm getting closer to sloving this problem.  Although I don't think it's fully working.  When I try to cat ding.wav | /dev/dsp I get this message "/dev/dsp: Permission denied".  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I'm not sure.

Also, after the addition of the "options PNPBIOS" line I got interesting output in dmesg.  Here it is:  (the rest could be supplied if needed)

unknown: <PNP0400> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
sbc0: <ESS ES1869 (Compaq OEM)> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331 irq 5 drq 1,3 on isa0
pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0
esscontrol0: <ESS Control> at port 0x268-0x26f on isa0
unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources

I remember reading in the manpage for pcm that there are some "bridge drivers" which I really didn't understand.  I guess the sbc0 would be the bridge driver.  I'm not sure if I should add that to my kernel config file.  After re-reading the pcm man page and the LINT kernel config file it would appear so, but maybe someone can clarify that for me.

Also, what the heck are the unknown: devices that seem to be found?  Should I worry about those messages?

Here is the full kernel config file that has gotten me this far.  I'm gonna do some more recompiling to see which options does the trick.

# PRESARIO - kernel config file
# Compaq Presario 5240
#

machine     i386
cpu     I586_CPU
ident     PRESARIO
maxusers     32

options      MATH_EMULATE     #Support for x87 emulation
options      INET     #InterNETworking
options      INET6     #IPv6 communications protocols
options      FFS     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options      FFS_ROOT     #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options      SOFTUPDATES     #Enable FFS soft updates support
options      MFS     #Memory Filesystem
options      MD_ROOT     #MD is a potential root device
options      NFS     #Network Filesystem
options      NFS_ROOT     #NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options      MSDOSFS     #MSDOS Filesystem
options      CD9660     #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options      CD9660_ROOT     #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options      PROCFS     #Process filesystem
options      COMPAT_43     #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options      SCSI_DELAY=15000     #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options      UCONSOLE     #Allow users to grab the console
options      USERCONFIG     #boot -c editor
options      VISUAL_USERCONFIG     #visual boot -c editor
options      KTRACE     #ktrace(1) support
options      SYSVSHM     #SYSV-style shared memory
options      SYSVMSG     #SYSV-style message queues
options      SYSVSEM     #SYSV-style semaphores
options      P1003_1B     #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options      _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options     ICMP_BANDLIM     #Rate limit bad replies
options      KBD_INSTALL_CDEV     # install a CDEV entry in /dev

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options      SMP     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options      APIC_IO     # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

device     isa
device     eisa
device     pci

# Floppy drives
#device     fdc0     at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
#device     fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
#device     fd1     at fdc0 drive 1

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device     ata0     at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device     ata1     at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device     ata
device     atadisk     # ATA disk drives
device     atapicd     # ATAPI CDROM drives
device     atapifd     # ATAPI floppy drives
options      ATA_STATIC_ID     #Static device numbering
options      ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA     #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device     atkbdc0     at isa? port IO_KBD
device     atkbd0     at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device     psm0     at atkbdc? irq 12

device     vga0     at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device     splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device     sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device     npx0     at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device     apm0     # Advanced Power Management

# Serial (COM) ports
device     sio0     at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device     sio1     at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

# Parallel port
device     ppc0     at isa? irq 7
device     ppbus     # Parallel port bus (required)
device     lpt     # Printer

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device     miibus     # MII bus support
device     dc     # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device     loop     # Network loopback
pseudo-device     ether     # Ethernet support
pseudo-device     sl     1     # Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device     ppp     1     # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device     tun     # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device     pty     # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device     md     # Memory "disks"
pseudo-device     gif     4     # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device     faith     1     # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device     bpf     #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device     uhci     # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device     ohci     # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device     usb     # USB Bus (required)
device     ugen     # Generic
device     uhid     # "Human Interface Devices"
device     ukbd     # Keyboard
device     ulpt     # Printer
device     ums     # Mouse
device     uscanner     # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device     aue     # ADMtek USB ethernet
device     cue     # CATC USB ethernet
device     kue     # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

# Soundcard Support
options PNPBIOS
device pcm

Just for further information purposes, here is the output of a 'cat /dev/sndstat':

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Nov 28 2000 11:14:13
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS 1869 DSP> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1:3 (1p/1r channels)

I believe that's all the information I have thus far.  I'm going to continue playing with the kernel configuration to see if I can get the dang thing working.  Once I get it working, I'll post my kernel config file in hopes that it might help someone out in the future.

TIA,

Joey