Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:35:21 -0800
From:      walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unsucessful with 5.0-CURRENT Installation on a 120G IDE HDD

Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I tried installing the 5.0-CURRENT-20021028-JPSNAP ISO today, on my 120G
> harddrive, which is the second one on the system.  Sysinstall failed to get
> the right geometry of the disk, even though the BIOS was in LBA mode.
>
> My 50G FreeBSD partition (ad1s3) as two partitions, 1000MB and a 128MB.

Sorry, I'm not understanding that sentence.  Is there a typographical error
in there somewhere, perhaps?  1000MB + 128MB <> 50GB

> The DOS partition (ad1s2) on the harddrive was just right, and nothing
> wrong it, but only the FreeBSD partitions messed up.

Sorry, I'm still confused.  You have two different FBSD partitions on the
same disk (s3 and s1)?

> I made a 8G partition on the front of the disk (ad1s1), in which I was
> planning to install FreeBSD.  Now, I am not sure what the real cause is,
> i.e. why are we not allowed to install on an 8G partition on a 120G disk?

No reason.  It should work.  Is the install failing at some point with
error messages?  Did the install finish but now you can't boot the new
system?

> It could be that I am doing something very wrong, but I would like to get
> to the bottom of this, as I lost about 15G worth of data,

I'm confused again.  Data on the FreeBSD partition?  Which FBSD partition?
How did the data get there and in what way is it lost now, exactly?

> i.e. fdisk still
> shows that the partition is there, but fsck_ffs is not proceeding.

You mean when you try to boot the 8GB partition, or the 50GB partition?
Is fsck complaining about something?  What is it saying?  Please be
very specific about error messages.