Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 01:23:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Park, No Il" <No.Il.Park@kla-tencor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lexmark 1100 Printer problem

> Thanks about your answer. But I did that already. I say my problem again.
> I made kernel for printer following the procedure on book, 'The complete
> Free BSD by Greg Lehey' and Man page about 'ppc,ppbus'
> My configuration of printer is (ver. 3.2 of FreeBSD) :
> device ppc0 at isa? port? tty  irq 7
> controller ppbus0
> lpt0 at ppbus?
>
> I checked  these ones on the dmesg after booting the system.
>
> Tried to test printer with lptest like 'lptest > /dev/lpt0'
> Printer made big noise and hang-up.
> On the screen showed like :
> #>lptest > /dev/lpt0
>
>                      <-- no answer and big noise but sometimes print
> working
> in the right edge side. Did not go center.
>
> [ctrl]+c
> #>lptest > /dev/lpt0
> busy
>
> Usually, Symptom is
> -Do not working anything.
> -Working but no output and Head of printer is moving withine small length
> at
> right edge side. Also No feed paper out.
>
> I am tired to set up printer with FreeBSD. Pls Tell me what is solution or
> document to solve this problem.

Unfortunately there is no solution.  It hasn't got to do with the printer
being detected or building another kernel, your problem is that the Lexmark
1100 uses a proprietary protocol that noone has reverse engineered into a
driver for Ghostscript yet.  Essentially, under any Unix you like to name,
your printer is currently a paperweight.  There is someone working on
drivers for the Lexmark printers but only the 5700 and 7000 are currently
supported.  If you are interested in helping, the web page is at
http://bimbo.fjfi.cvut.cz/~paluch/l7kdriver/

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083