Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 18:30:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH patches

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:18:00 +0200, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> said:
>
> >> No objections from me! We will of course need to import OpenSSL as well,
> >> but I can see only good things coming from that.
>
> > Only the libcrypto part of it, as far as I can see.
>
> Ummm... guys.... the RSA patent doesn't expire until *next* year.

True..we'd have to split it so that US people import a RSA-less openssl
(i.e. just openssl with the rsa directory missing), and the international
folks can import the RSA parts as well. The former could go into the
existing crypto cvsup collection, and an additional crypto-intl cvsup
collection could hold the latter.

On the other hand, is it illegal to _have_ RSA sources, as long as you
don't compile them? i.e. we can just build openssl with NO_RSA conditional
on USA_RESIDENT=YES.

Kris

----
Cthulhu for President! For when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of
two evils..