Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 08:17:30 -0500
From:      "Steven T. Schowiak" <schow@dhc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install OK, cannot mount root - UGH!

I think my FreeBSD installation went well.  I installed it to a bootable
600M partition on my third hard drive and instruct the mother board to boot
from this drive instead of C:.  The other 625M is a DOS partiton accessable
by Windows 98. The entire drive is still FAT16. Boot Easy comes up and I
choose BSD.  It goes through the gyrations and them wants to re-boot itself.

A search through the archives says that I should use '1:wd(2,a)/kernel' .
I try this and it returns 'bad disklabel' and 'can't find wd(2,a)/kernal'.
I've been screwing around with this for several weeks now and I'm getting
ready to give up.

BTW during the installation, I removed all the conflicting devices (they
were all devices I didn't have anyway) accept for the mouse and system
console.  Figured I needed those. After the fdisk partioning the disk was
named 'wd2' and the partition was named 'wd2s1'.

I was also wondering if the book from Walnut Creek would be of help.

Waddya think?

Thanks.

- Remove 'NO-SPAM' from my address before replying via e-mail. This  -
-  protects me from sleazy spammers and their automated spam-bots.   -
-      Visit my web page at http://www.dhc.net/~schow featuring:     -
-       The BRIEFCASE BLUES, a tribute to the Blues Brothers!        -
-                 HUMBLE PIE, classic rock's finest!                 -
-   My personal PHOTO GALLERY, featuring my award winning photos!    -
-   WHY? TELECOMMUNICATIONS, a local DFW ISP that provided CRAPPY    -
-      internet service and RIPPED OFF it's innocent customers!      -