Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:29:58 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi0 problems under latest STABLE

On 6 Mar 2002 at 21:27, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 12:14:41AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> > I've just updated a my 4.5-STABLE laptop to the latest RELENG_4.  It
> > contains a Lucent Orinoco card which turns up as wi0.  It was working
> > with a STABLE dated Jan 28 2002.  With the build from this evening's
> > cvsup, I'm getting time outs on wi0.
> >
> > This is the  /etc/pccard.conf which I was using:
> >
> > [dan@laptop:~] $ less /etc/pccard.conf
> > # Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
> > card "Lucent Technologies" "WaveLAN/IEEE"
> >         config  0x1 "wi" ?
> >         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
> >         remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop
> >
> >         insert  wicontrol -i $device -p 3
> >         insert  wicontrol -i $device -k "4gRp1"
> >
> > What did I miss?
> >
> > Under the latest build, I get this:
> >
> >    laptop /kernel: wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 11; event status 8000
> >
> > If it's any help:
> >
> > wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 3 slot 0 on pccard0
> > wi0: 802.11 address: 00:02:2d:0e:66:bd wi0: using Lucent chip or unknown
> > chip
> >
> > It doesn't seem to be affecting the traffic, it's just a repeating
> > message.  If I don't use the above pccard.conf, the card doesn't seem to
> > work very well at all.
>
> It's fairly harmless (previously the command just failed without saying
> anything), it might be worth trying to raise the value of WI_DELAY in
> if_wireg.h.  I'd suggest trying 100 and if that fixes it, lower it to see
> if you can find a better lower bound then 5.  If that doesn't work, it
> might be worth trying to raise WI_TIMEOUT, but 500ms is a long time for a
> network adaptor.

I have tried this:

#define WI_DELAY        100
#define WI_TIMEOUT      (1000000/WI_DELAY)

I am using a desktop and a laptop, each with wireless cards.  The desktop
acts a DHCP server and gateway for the laptop.

Both machines get the "wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 11; event status 8000"
message.  Both have the above settings compiled into the kernel.

Is there a way I can confirm those settings or adjust them at run time?

> I'm not sure what you mean about not using the pccard.conf entry.
> The top part is exactly what is in /etc/defaults/pccard.conf and it won't
> work if you don't set your wep key and enable ad-hoc mode if that's how
> your network is configured.

Let's just call that me typing without thinking.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples