Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:28:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        bartol@salk.edu, current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On installation, the packages database stores both dependency
> directions.  /var/db/pkg/<PACKAGE>/+CONTENTS contains the list of
> pre-requisite packages in `@pkgdep' records.  The +CONTENTS file is
> part of the package.  /var/db/pkg/<PACKAGE>/+REQUIRED_BY contains the
> `required-by' list and is maintained automatically by the package
> management tools (eg installing `foo' which depends on `bar' adds
> a line `foo' to /var/db/pkg/bar/+REQUIRED_BY, which is removed if
> the package in removed).

I've never found the +REQUIRED_BY data to be consistently maintained for me -
i.e. there are usually dependent packages referenced there which no longer
exist on my system, several versions of packages when I've done a remove
old/add new version, etc. I should spend some time to try and figure out
what's causing this inconsistency..does anyone else see behaviour like this?

Kris

-----
The Feynman problem-solving algorithm: 1. Write down the problem
                                       2. Think real hard
                                       3. Write down the solution