Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 08:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        "Anthony E. Coley" <anthony@sohopros.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help xinit?

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Anthony E. Coley wrote:

=> What do I need to do to be able to run startx while not logged in
=> as root?  I am unable to start an X session while logged in as
=> a regular user.

 Version 3.3.2 ?
 ===============

I installed the source, read /usr/X11R6/src/xc/INSTALL.TXT,
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/config/cf/FreeBSD.cf, read and applied the recent
patch to XFree86, and edited the /usr/X11R6/src/xc/config/cf/site.def.

[snip]

#define InstallXserverSetUID NO

Then I followed the instructions to rebuild.

I don't think I missed anything another than the fact I rebuilt after reading
in the FreeBSD.cf that I should make sure that the proper "tcl" and "tk"
pkg's should be installed before building.  Nothing is a replacment for
reading before starting:)

NOTE: The build will change the symbolic link from /usr/X11R6/bin/X to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.

Kevin G. Eliuk