Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2012 15:09:51 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        s m <sam.gh1986@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: set connection to a modem
References:  <CAA_1SgGYhUO3TA8D_=rVLJZBpU4pNri-RPixCnBQ7X1tHeUzkA@mail.gmail.com> <20121128170525.c3fb92e8.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAA_1SgF4kFbcdjqY0zNd%2BoXg_KYp6HYBmAqxUoaXiH=ZkWrHYw@mail.gmail.com> <50B7D85F.5040900@a1poweruser.com> <CAN%2BS=WD9P-3mYOfA5%2B%2BQDtXLccuu3oe-23De-mzqa5EsNqVphQ@mail.gmail.com> <50BA6652.8090005@sdf.org> <CAA_1SgHgyeX-o8UhZc2R9awUC%2BNrOspDirpO54_obO4s=yoX%2BA@mail.gmail.com>

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:41:12 +0330, s m wrote:
> thanks chris
>
> ppp is used when you want connect to internet via modem.

Basically yes, but it can do more than that.

> i just want to
> config my modem by AT command.

This is _exactly_ what PPP does (among other things). :-)

Refer to the example I've provided in an earlier message on
how you can use /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to define the settings for
speed and flow control which will then be processed by PPP,
it will send the _proper_ AT commands using chat (see "man chat"
for details).

On the other hand, if you use a program like minicom, there
will be a config file provided where you can put your settings
and custom AT commands (if required) into it. I haven't been
using it for long time, but if I remember correctly, the
config file is /usr/local/etc/minirc.something... ???

> when my ppp.conf file is empty, i can talk to my modem so this config file
> do nothing what you want talk to your modem.

The file is only relevant to PPP. If you're using a different
program, it will be ignored. Only PPP reads it at startup.

> if i want to talk to my modem by a specific speed, which config file should
> be changed?

That depends on the _program_ you use to talk to the modem.

Again: If you use ppp, put "set speed 115200" (or whatever speed
you need) in ppp.conf's section for your connection. If you are
using a different program, check its documentation to find out
which config file it uses. There is no system-wide configuration
file for what you need.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany