Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 04:29:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brad Waite <brad@ssbaptist.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing on 40GB IDE

Hi all,

I've been running 3.4 just fine on my Tyan Trinity ATX (64M RAM, SCSI HD) for
several months now.  Our external SCSI raid chose to puke on us, so we decided
to do a fresh install of 4.0 on a couple 40G Maxtor IDEs and use vinum RAID-5
to replace our external SCSI set up.

The problem is our install always hangs during the newfs.  I dangerously
dedicated the primary disk to FBSD, and set up a 3652M / partition and a 256M
swap.  During the newfs, the DEBUG screen shows the following:

DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for root filesystem.
DEBUG: Scanning disk ad0 for swap filesystem.
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for dev type -
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for dev type -
/dev/rad0s1a: 7479296 sectors in 1826 cylinders of 1 trtacks, 4096 sectors
	3652.0MB in 115 cyl groups (16 c/g, 32.00MB/g, 7936 i/g)
super block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
32, 65568, 131104,ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 197056 retrying

I've tried several different BIOS configurations, and every time the newfs
hangs, although at different blk#'s.

I think it might be a BIOS problem, even though we've got the latest published
version, but I'd like to know for sure the correct way to set this up.  The
Award auto-detect gives these options:

Size		C		H		S		Mode

40981M		19617	16		255		Normal
40980M		4982	255		63		LBA

The GENERIC kernel off the CD reports:

79406/16/63 at ata0-master using UDMA66.

The BIOS won't take these settings, and fdisk says it's an invalid geometry and
sets it to something else.  When I tell it to use the entire disk entirely for
FBSD, the geometry then changes to the same as the BIOS's LBA mode.

And to top all of that off, the physical drive itself says it is 16383/16/63,
which obviously doesn't give 40 gigs.  There is a cylinder limitation jumper on
the drive, but the docs, sparse as they are, say that the drive must be
prepared using their MaxBlast warez.  I'm sure MaxBlast won't work with FBSD,
so I'm doubtful the jumper would have any affect.

Ideas?  What's the correct way to set up the BIOS/FBSD for large drives?

TIA,

Brad Waite