Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:41:31 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        John Wilson <jmw_ymail@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backport of ServerWorks ATA to 4-Stable?

On Sunday, Mar 30, 2003, at 11:17 US/Pacific, John Wilson wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I was wondering if there would be a backport of the
> ServerWorks GC chipset (CSB6 South bridge) to
> 4-Stable.  I am only able to obtain "BIOSDMA" support
> on my HD's and basic "PIO" support of my CD-RW.

I thought that was the optimum configuration.  (I have ServerWorks in
my Dell 600SC.)
My understanding of the problem with the ServerWorks chipset was the
inability to recognize slave drives; I still have this problem but have
just put the server together so have not worked on it much yet.

> I played around with 5.0-Current on this machine and
> by utilizing 'atacontrol', I was able to get DMA mode
> transfers on all of the installed media.  There were
> also no stability issues running in this mode either
> under 5-Current

What were your atacontrol settings, and how did you differentiate the
results (dmesg, sysctl)?
FWIW, my drive recognition problem exists in 5.0 and 4.7-Stable.

I'll forward separately to you a message I received a couple of weeks
ago on this or a related issue.

KeS