Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:25:27 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Preferred Gigabit interfaces for -CURRENT

We're about to make the switch from 100M interfaces to GigE interfaces
for our transit routers ... which are FreeBSD-5.0 based SMP (Athlon)
boxes.  Our current favorite card is the intel i82559-based fxp
cards.  They handle the load best on our testing of 100M cards.
Remember that our load is large and small packets and that hardware
checksums are not a win (although hardware vlans are).

So... I need to know what GigE chipsets I should test.  I recently
tested Intel GigE cards ... with dismal results... less than half the
packets-per-second on the (otherwise) same hardware.  Small packets
(as in DOS attacks) are a real concern here.

I believe that someone here recomended Tigon III based cards ... but I
was recently looking through 5.0-RELEASE's hardware notes and couldn't
find any mention of Tigon III.

A hint on where to buy the cards may be helpful _and_ I'd like to know
if the choice might be different for -STABLE (as some of our routers
run -STABLE).

Dave.