Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:24:38 +0300
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB to RS232  converter problem (prolific chip)

On Saturday 05 April 2008 23:48:59 you wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008, Andrei Kolu wrote:
> > I have problems using USB to RS232  converter under FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE
> > when connecting to any Cisco gear over serial link. I connect my adapter
> > to notebook and dmesg output looks like this one:
> >
> > ucom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller D, rev 1.10/4.00,
> > addr 2
> >
> > I have also following modules loaded:
> >
> > 8    1 0xc0c17000 3540     umodem.ko# cu -l /dev/ttyU0
> > Connected
> >
> > 9    4 0xc0c1b000 3208     ucom.ko
> > 10    1 0xc0c1f000 2f54     uplcom.ko
> > 13    1 0xc0c2f000 3384     ubsa.ko
> >
> > Now I try to connect to Cisco box:
> >
> > # cu -l /dev/ttyU0
> > Connected
>
> Use /dev/cuaU0 instead.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

There is no difference if I connect through /dev/ttyU0 or /dev/cuaU0 and even
through ttyU1 or cuaU1 (when second serial converter is connected)- same
problem. I tried on other computer with FreeBSD 6.1 and 7.0-STABLE snapshot
from march- same results.

Something is broken on FreeBSD side- strange thing is that when I turn power
down on cisco box and turn in on again then I see scrolling text from cisco
gear but there is no feedback to keyboard activity. How to debug this issue?

Andrei