Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:11:11 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Gerard Meijer <gmeijer@palmweb.nl>
Cc:        Hexren <me@hexren.net>
Subject:   Re: get local sendmail to use MX records

Gerard Meijer wrote:
> No, that is not the solution. It could be, but it's not what I want.
>
> An example:
>
> domain: domain.com
> domain.com is hosted on server B. The MX record for domain.com says that
> server A handles the mail of domain.com. So anyname@domain.com should be
> handled by server A.
>
> This works, but now on server B there runs a script that sends an e-mail
> to gerard@domain.com . What SHOULD happen is that sendmail on server B
> looks up the MX record for domain.com, sees that server A handles the
> mail for domain.com and sends the mail to server A. What happens is that
> sendmail recognizes the domain as hosted on that machine and uses
> localhost to deliver the mail. It looks for user gerard (in this
> example), which doesn't exist.
>
> I agree with you, a solution would be to set in the alias file of server
> B something like gerard: root@serverA.com . If this was about just one
> e-mailaddress, it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm actually talking about
> a little more then one address.
>
> So that's not a good solution for me.

If I followed you correctly, "server B" *formerly* was the
appropriate end point for mail for "domain.com". If that is true,
then on server B, the sendmail config probably indicates that mail
destined for domain.com is delivered locally. Remove that indicator
and it should revert to MX lookup behavior to find the appropriate
handler for the domain. There may be multiple places in the sendmail
config where domain.com is named for different purposes. Hunt them
all down and kill them.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348

A: Because it reverses the natural flow of a dialog.
Q: Why is top posting undesirable when replying?