Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:23:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard disruptions : how did it go?

Warner Losh writes:
| In message <199912151129.TAA29972@laurasia.com.au> Michael Kennett writes:
| : I've just scoured the archives, and found a thread from late October 1999
| : titled:
| :     Massive pccard disruptions to continue
| :
| : So, have these disruptions continued? And what is the current status with
| : pccard support in the kernel?
|
| The new pccard code is still being worked on.
|
| However, the old pccard code mostly works again, modulo a couple of
| if_detach issues that I'm trying to work through.
|
| : I've noticed that a few files still contain the PCCARD_MODULE macro
| : - in particular, the dev/pccard/if_xe.c Xircom driver.  I'm
| : interested in getting the if_xe.c driver to work under -current
| : (12-Dec sources).  I'd be interested in any ideas on how to convert
| : the old if_xe.c driver to the 'newbus' code.  (I'm not familiar with
| : either the old PCCARD_MODULE, or the newbus code.)
|
| The if_xe and if_fe drivers no longer work for pccard.  You may wish
| to investigate how the ep and ed drivers were converted.  There is one
| issue with the if_xe driver, namely it needs to access the CIS of the
| card to determine which kind of card it is and that will need some
| work in -current to get working again...

I will try to take a look at the Xircom driver and try to newbus it after
I finish some work on the Arionet driver (It's annoying have to deal with
non robust dongles and then I don't have to carry a modem & 2 ethernet
adapters).  However, Linksys has an interesting card .. unfortunately
you can't stick 2 of them in at the same time.

Doug A.