Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:00:40 -0700
From:      Aaron Nichols <adnichols@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Clark <mclark@nemschoff.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VPN questions

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:47:43 -0500, Michael Clark <mclark@nemschoff.com> wrote:

> > Any suggestions for something compatible with Cisco's 3080 VPN
> > product? Something that will work from behind my home NAT box,
> > ideally?
>
> There is nothing that I know of, I have a 3000 at work and wanted to do the
> same thing. There is a cli client for the 3000 in ports that I did manage to
> get working at one time, its not site to site though.

The Cisco 3000 is a difficult beast in this case. I have a site to
site VPN between the Cisco and an OpenBSD host which works fine, I
assume it would also work for FreeBSD. The challenge however, is that
for site to site (known as Lan to Lan in the Cisco) a static IP must
be used, this mode does not support a dynamic client that I know of.

You can connect a dynamic client to the Cisco using the "Base Group",
but their PSK structure for dynamic clients basically requires that
you use the same PSK for all clients, not exactly ideal. I believe you
can use certificates to get around this, but I've not tried.

The Cisco client itself uses XAUTH to allow user/pass type
authentication and can then be pointed to a backend authentication
service (RADIUS, AD, etc) - if there is some software for FreeBSD that
can do XAUTH you would be much closer to getting this to work - I
don''t think such a thing exists however.

If you have a static IP from your ISP and want to use Lan to Lan, I'm
pretty sure that would work (though I'm currently battling this
specific scenario on the FreeBSD side trying to get NAT working on the
VPN itself to masquerade the LAN behind the VPN). As a Hint, you'll
want to use aggressive mode and some identifier for the client other
than the IP (I use an email address). I've resigned to having a few
different VPN "concentrators" for clients to connect to as each seems
to have it's own specific strengths and weaknesses and our company has
a wide variety of clients connecting.

Aaron