Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:03:12 -0800
From:      mystic_mac1@mac.com
To:        chris@ooc2000.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! Syntax error in rc.conf has made my entire filesystem read only!!!!!!

Chris,
   Yep, not only have I seen this tragic anomoly, but I had to work
through it. This is what I did. When you are asked for the shell, you
are going into what I think to be single user read only mode. The way to
get out of the mode is to mount you fstab like so:
     mount -a
Which will mount everything in you fstab, once the fstab has been
mounted then you can edit your rc.conf file and fix it before rebooting.

His Faithful Servant,
Mark