Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 19:26:00 -0600
From:      Philip R.Moyer <prm@hyperon.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stranger still - Re: (wireless query) wi0 interface associated, but no DHCP response?

I know it's bad form to reply to your own mail, but I have some additional
information.  I had originally sent the appended mail regarding my WPC11
and association in the wireless LAN, but no DHCP response.

At Jim Binkley's suggestion, I ran tcpdump on the wi0 interface to look
at what's going on with the wireless network.  I manually configured the
interface using ifconfig.  I am able to see both outgoing packets and
incoming traffic from the interface, but the OS is not "seeing" the packets.

For example, before I send anything I can see the NetBIOS chatter
from the WindozeME box on the wireless LAN.  When I try to ping the
Linksys AP, I see the arp request for the AP's address, immediately
followed by the arp reply.  The MAC address for the AP never shows up
in the FreeBSD box's arp cache, though.  At that point, I manually
entered the MAC address.

Then I tried to ping the AP.  The echo request goes out, followed immediately
by the echo reply, but ping reports 100% packet loss.  IOW, tcpdump can
see the echo reply, but the it never reaches the originating program.

Stranger still, I can see the traffic from the aforementioned ME box.  If I
ping the ME machine's IP address, ping sees the replies with no problems.

I'm not that experienced with wireless protocols; does this look to
anyone indicative of a particular problem?  If anyone has suggestions,
I'd love to hear them.

Regards,
Phil

"Reality, like truth and beauty, is in the eye of the beholder."
						- John L. Casti