Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:19:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Davis <dand@eclipse.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sniffing networks

> >> OK: How do you perform a search for cards in promiscuous mode?
> >> (Taking some expensive analyzer progs or some simple stuff under UN*X,
> >> Linsux or NT?)
> >
> >Why would you want to search for network interfaces in promiscuous mode?
>
> Besides being a difficult operation to perform... (what if you don't
> have a login on their system?)  a clever sniffer can be quite
> transparent.  A now several years old book on network security suggests
> building a secure network monitor by cutting the NIC's xmit lead.  How
> are you going to search for something like this??
>

> >Stick the users on switched ports so they can't sniff other users packets
> >and be done with it.
>
> According to a friend who has done some network monitoring tests this
> is not as perfect a solution as it sounds.  He has observed packets
> coming out ports other than the one where the destination system is
> connected.  Still, everyone agrees it's far better than the old
> dozens-of-machines-in-a-single-collision-domain method.
>
> -Mitch

Perhaps that's because the switch uses a fixed-size table for matching
which destinations should be routed to each ports that is smaller
than the number of destinations/ports actually in use.  Since the
switch needs to operate so quickly, is it probable that such a
switching table is actually in silicon or programmed into an FPGA?

That would make sense of why the table would be so small; it reminds
me of the limited way multicast addresses are handled by a
typical NIC.

Dan Davis             | Excerpt from my latest project:
Software Engineer     |        0000100010111000001010010001
ECCS, Inc.            |        1000101011110110001110101000
dand@eclipse.net      | "That's the philosophical equivalent of
http://www.eccs.com   |  Folger's crystals!" - Dan