Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:08:28 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
Cc:        freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A sample category

Brian Raynes wrote:

> After a little thought, I think the DocBook idea is a little better.
> I don't know much about DocBook, but isn't it easy to create html, pdf
> and ps files from DocBook format?  I've really liked the way the
> handbook and a few other docs have been distributed this way.  I'm not
> sure I've ever seen comments handled in document form, but for all the
> other information the document format seems easier to setup than a
> website and might require fewer resources (hardware & bandwidth).

The FDP (FreeBSD Documentation Project) has a great manual on using
DocBook. I used it for my own documentation on one of my projects and it
was pretty slick. Using jade and dsssl, I created my html doc in 5
seconds. I didn't have TeX installed at the time, or I could have
created dvi, ps and pdf just as easily. Read the FDP documentation, as
the docs of Jade are pretty dense and incomplete. The O'Reilly DocBook
book is wonderful, and if you don't want the dead tree version, it's
also online for free.

David