Date:      Tue, 10 May 2016 17:05:08 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic question respecting install from usb flash drive.

I have a SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF on which I am trying to install
FreeBSD-10.3 via a USB key.  I created the key following the
instructions in the Handbook.  It seems to be ok.  The problem seems
to be in getting the SM host configured correctly to boot from the usb
drive.

The SM configuration does not explictly list a USB option.  What I
have to choose from are these:

Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1            [VerbatimSTORE N GO. . .]
Boot Option #2            [WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0]
Boot Option #3            [UEFI: Built-in EFI. . .]
Boot Option #4            [IBA GE Slot 0700 v. . .]

Network Devices
Hard Disk Drives
USB Device BBS Priorities

Looking at the options for USB Device BBS Priorities show either
VerbatimSTORE N GO or DISABLED.  So I infer that the first boot option
is the correct one for my purposes.

However, when the system restarts I see this:

Invalid Format

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:
No /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

So, what is the problem? A bad usb flash copy?

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3