Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:41:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, terry@lambert.org, dennis@etinc.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> > > If you're talking about something else, then you are running a slightly
> > > different definition of "smoothly" or "integrated"; there is no inherent
> > > reason FreeBSD has to have any code, whatsoever, in common from version
> > > to version, except to deal with legacy issues.  Even then, common code
> > > isn't really required -- only common interface points that don't change.
> >
> > That's total BS, and you know it.  Almost *always* fixing bugs requires
> > API/interface changes.  That's the nature of the beast, and you know it
> > as well as anyone, only you're trying to stir the pot again.
>
> If FreeBSD had an NT-like HAL, where the hardware services were less
> dependent on the nature of the hardware suppling the services (look
> at the console and pcaudio code for a counter-example), the internal
> interfaces would be subject less to the vagries of change.  There
> are other areas besides a HAL which inter-kernel-component interfaces
> would do a lot to shut detractors like Dennis up, by giving them
> what they want without hog-tying yourself in the process.

Well -- I don't want an OS like NT.  Microsoft has already done that,
and it shows *interesting* performance charactistics.  Of course, I
admit that it would be very nice if we could maintain more consistant
interfaces, but frankly, I have used the latest version of Unixware MP
code also, and I don't like that either...  It just doesn't work nicely.

John