Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRIX 6.5.4 NFS v3 TCP client + FreeBSD server = bewm

Somehow I knew this was going to happen. I just got done upgrading one
of my Indigo2s to IRIX 6.5.4, with am-utils 6.0 for NFS automounting.
IRIX 6.5.4 supports NFS v3 and TCP. I tried cd'ing to a directory
served on a FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE system which happens to have the build
tree for the Alteon Tigon firmware (that's where I compiled the last
firmware image for the Tigon driver). I did a 'du' and after a short
while, it exploded with the following messages:

mbuf siz=33524
panic: Bad nfs svc reply

Inspecting a crash dump showed that the mbuf chain was trashed. The
same thing happens with a 4.0-current snapshot from the 15th: this time
I just manually mounted /usr from the FreeBSD server under /mnt on
the SGI and did cd /mnt; du. Pow: died right away.

The FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE host has a 3Com 3c509 card. The 4.0-CURRENT
host has a 3Com 3c900-COMBO PCI card. Each uses different drivers and
networking works fine otherwise, so I'm pretty sure the problem is in
NFS somewhere and not in the drivers.

This doesn't happen when using UDP. Given that I can reproduce this
on demand, I should be able to debug it eventually, but hints in the
right direction would be useful.

-Bill