Date:      30 Mar 2000 23:45:14 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS/CVSup

Ryugen C. Fisher <Ryugen@palaver.org> wrote:

> I am remotely doing admin on two FreeBSD servers via telnet over TCP/IP ..

I sincerely hope you do not. Don't use telnet, use ssh!

> One of the machines is running 3.2 and one is running 3.1  I would like to
> upgrade boths systems to the 3.4 STABLE version using CVSup.... is this
> possible?

Yes. Well, you can't update the systems directly via cvsup. (Yes,
I know, but let's stay simple here.) What you can do is fetch/update
the source tree by cvsup and then rebuild the system.

> Secondly, I would like to upgrade the "ports" package data to reflect all
> the appropriate changes without actually loading the tarballs..

The tarballs are *not* distributed as part of the ports collection.
You can just get the ports collection with cvsup.

> Also, please presume I am dirt ignorant about doing this sort of thing, the
> truth is probably MUCH worse than that...

You should read the corresponding sections of the FreeBSD handbook.
Should be under /usr/share/doc on your system. You can also find
the lastest version at the FreeBSD web site.

> [Alternative: text/html]

And that's something you want to disable if you care to get answers.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de