Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:26:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nschein@prisa.com
Subject:   Re: FW: NIS,   + in the passwd file

>From: "Nathaniel Schein" <nschein@prisa.com>
>Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:15:37 -0700

>I am trying to set up NIS with FreeBSD. On bootup ypbind has no problem and
>if I do a `ypwhich` it will show the NIS master. Moreover, when I do a
>`ypcat passwd` the passwd list is displayed. When I try to use `vipw` to
>place a '+' at the end of the passwd file, the consistancy checks do not
>allow me. Must I edit the passwd file directly and use `pwd_mkdb` to resolve
>this problem, or is there another solution?

vipw works for me.  You do need to be sure to use the right number of
fields; it helps to bear in mind that with vipw, you're modifying
master.passwd (and passwd is being generated from the result).

Since I have trouble counting the fileds, I tend to do the following
(using "vi" as the editor):

	Gyyp:s/[^:]*//g

(which replicates whatever line is at the bottom of the file, then
strips out everything but the ':' characters), then

	0i+[ESC]:wq

(which ensures that I'm starting at the leftmost position of the line,
inserts a '+', terminates insert mode, writes the file & quits).

>Also, when I do a `ypwhich -x` not all the maps held by the NIS master are
>shown. Does somebody know why?

Because -x only shows the nicknames; thus, it only shows the maps that
have nicknames.  Not all maps do; they won't be shown via -x.  Try -m.

>By the way the NIS master running FreeBSD 2.11 and the client is running
>v.3.2. The master is correctly configured and integrated with an IRIX
>network.

You've set "UNSECURE" in the /var/yp/Makefile, then, I gather.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915