Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 11:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rudy Rucker <rudy@dipsy.monkeybrains.net>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Marius Vincent <mvincent@elcb.co.za>, freeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Block and reverse DNS.

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> Basically, there
> is nothing special about reverse lookups except for converting the IP
> address into in-addr.arpa notation before starting.

There is one unique difference.
If you have a Class C address, and reserve a domain through Internic, it
is easy to specify what DNS server that domain should use.  If you Get a
Class C address, and wish to host the in-addr.arpa you are at the *mercy*
of your upstream provider's technical support team.  It took Verio 3
months to corrently configure their DNS servers to slave off of my DNS
server.

Tips (based purely on my situation, your's may be different):
1) My upstream provider insists on doing reverse DNS, so they have to be
set up as a slave to my master DNS server.
2) The NS field in your in-addr.arpa record is important.  The upstream
provider may not be able to pull your records unless they have an NS
field in your reverse lookup record. eg:
  IN	NS	ns.YOURUPSTEAM_PROVIDER.com
This is true for forward as well as reverse lookups.

Rudy