Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        hohmuth@innocent.com (Michael Hohmuth)
Cc:        tege@matematik.su.se, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netboot

Michael Hohmuth writes:
| Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se> writes:
|
| > Anybody out there that has made netboot work with fxp or de 100baseTX cards?
|
| There's a package called Etherboot ("archie etherboot") which is based
| on Netboot and which contains a GPL'd Etherexpress 100 driver.
| However, I think this driver can only be built under Linux; it would
| require some hacking to make it compilable natively under FreeBSD.

I'm currently using Etherboot to boot FreeBSD on the Intel 100 card.
The easiest solution was to build it using the linux-devel package and
add back in the FreeBSD boot loader.  They have added some really
nice features over the original FreeBSD code.  I can post a diff
to the Etherboot 4.0 code.

| On a related note, my group (at TU Dresden) also maintains a version
| of the GRUB bootloader (see <URL:http://www.uruk.org/grub/>) into
| which we have integrated (or rather, hacked) the Etherboot drivers.
| Again, the networking support currently can only be built under Linux.

Hmm, I need to take a look at that.  I don't recall seeing the net boot
stuff the last time I looked.

Doug A.