Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 21:06:57 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "brenda lambiris" <xnet@sprintmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating......

"brenda lambiris" writes:
> since FreeBSD isnt like linux, but it kind of is, to update the kernel,
> could you just download it straight from kernel.org like you would on a
> linux machine, or will you have to download a special kernel from
> Freebsd.org?   thanks.

Did anyone mention cvsup yet?

*I* think the best way update is to use cvsup. Plenty of examples in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup to overload your brain. This is my cvsupfile
with all the comments trimmed out and some other things added:

*default  host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_2_2
*default  delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all
src-crypto
src-secure
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

I name it /root/cvsupfile, and run it "cvsup /root/cvsfile".

Sometimes updating the kernel only isn't enough. If you use lkm's (such
as the console screensaver, or linux emulation) then you really ought to
rebuild the lkm's when a new kernel is built.

If you delete everything after and including "src-all" above and
replace it with "src-sys" then as I understand things you will only
cvsup updates to that which is in /usr/src/sys, ie: your kernel.

Sometimes I stop and remember to be amazed at how fast cvsup can update
a 150M source tree over a 28.8k modem.