Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 01:35:46 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        Mark Allen Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd/WinNT question..

I'm no expert, but I do run a Win95/NT/FreeBSD computer, so I can answer
some of your questions.

At 12:50 AM 9/4/99 -0700, Mark Allen Cockrum wrote:
>Will FreeBSD 3.2 be able to read NTFS partitions?

yes.

>How hard is it to move over all my files in FAT to NTFS?

Well, you could keep a FAT partition, copy all the files to an NTFS
partition, then reformat the FAT partition to NTFS.  I don't know if
there's a more elegant way to do it...

>How hard is it to maintain a FAT file system in WinNT?

Not hard at all.  You'll never notice what format a partition is, as long
as it's _FAT16_.  If it's FAT32, that's a no-can-do with NT 4.0.

>What programs (generally) from Win95 won't run under WinNT?

I think anything that tries to access hardware directly (i.e. not going
through the HAL).  The only way this affected me is that I couldn't get
Partition Magic to run under NT.  Also, last I heard DirectX support for NT
was pretty shabby, so there are several Win95 games that won't run under NT.

	 Charon@freethought.org
http://members.home.net/tuathadedanann/

  "Doubt is not a pleasant condition,
       but certainty is absurd."