Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:21:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        adam@pcswichita.com (Adam Borntrager)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question

> I am very new to this and I have installed the FreeBSD on my computer.
> What is the command that you use to launch the GUI that is installed
> with this?? (I think it was Xfree86 or Xwindows)
>
> Thank you for helping me to learn about this technology.

Probably you are looking for  startx

But, you must have installed an X manager and configured it properly.
The default is a very basic one called  xwm  I think and I believe it
gets installed by default when you install XFree86.   But, it is very
bare bones.   I prefer AfterStep (along with OpenOffice) for most basic
stuff like writing programs and reading Email and editing web pages
because it is quite basic and doesn't get in your way much, but it is a
little more serviceable than plain xwm.   If I want more of a desktop I
use KDE which I also install right at the beginning.   You need to
tinker startx or something to choose between the two if you want to
switch between them.  Then there is Gnome which is just overkill for
my tastes.

You probably will also need to edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
to get things to come up just the way you want.  But, they have simple
default configs that can get you started without editing that right
away.

So, as long as you installed XFree86 and at least one window manager,
just type  startx and see what happens and go from there.

////jerry