Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 20:41:35 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm impressed, but ...

On 2002-11-25 01:49:34 (+0100), Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx> wrote:
> 2. This one's the most irritating.  I use Mutt as my mailclient using
> Maildirs for storage.  It occasionally happens that Mutt just 'hangs'
> reading a directory, and there's no way for me to kill it.  Ps axl shows it
> as being in state Ds or Ds+ and blocked by ufs.

I've fiddled a bit with this one.  I still can't reproduce it reliably, but I
got it to go away :-)

Before, I had my maildir living on this machine (running -current), and my
mailserver (running stable) mounted it over NFS and wrote mails to it.  Often,
when reading things locally in the directory, it just hung.  I haven't been
able to pinpoint why it hung, but I suspect it could be that it didn't like
mails being written into it?  Problem with nfsd perhaps?

I've now turned the system around.  My maildir now lives on the mailserver,
and I mount it here.  Problem has gone away.

Perhaps someone can make sense of this?  I'm happy I can read my mail now,
without having to kick the power button every so often, but I'd prefer to
store my mail here and have the mailserver write over NFS.  (Mainly for speed
reasons).

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
philip@paeps.cx                                       subscribed to the list.

  The length of a marriage is inversely proportional
  to the amount spent on the wedding.