Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:02:07 -0400
From:      ivan georgiev <ioang@verizon.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade problems, please help

> Kent Stewart wrote:

> >>-su-2.05b# ruby -v
> >>ruby 1.6.8 (2003-03-26) [i386-freebsd5]
> >
> > I don't have any idea. It looks like a source/configuration/make
> > error of some type. My version is the also the following
> > ruby 1.6.8 (2003-03-26) [i386-freebsd5]
>
> Maybe complete remove of ruby and dependend packages
> followed by a reinstall of all of them may help.
> If you only have portupgrade installed, you can
> simply
> # pkg_delete -rx ruby
> # cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
> # make install clean
>
> If you have other ruby-dependend ports, please write them down,
> eg. by
> $ cd
> $ ls -l /var/db/pkg/ >installed-packages
> $ su -
> # [above procedure]
> $ ls -l /var/db/pkg/ >after-reinstall-ruby-packages
> $ diff installed-packages after-reinstall-ruby-packages
>
> And then reinstall all packages missing (and you need).

Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Finaly "portupgrade -arR" works again. Here is what I did
1) ls -l /var/db/pkg/ > ~/old
2) pkg_delete -rx ruby
3) cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade; make install; make clean
4) ls -l /var/db/pkg/ > ~/new
5) diff ~/old ~/new
which showed no other difference but for the new installed ruby;
6)/usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -fuF
7)/usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -arR
the result was :(

Then I tried the other suggestion:
8)cd /usr/ports
9) make index
which produced zillion of outputs like:
make_index: xcdplayer-2.2_1: no entry for /usr/ports/x11/
XFree86-4-libraries
10) /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -fuF
11) /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -arR
which took much longer than usual to say something the result is :)

Ivan