Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:55:01 -0500
From:      "Michael Edenfield" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        "Daniel Flickinger" <attila@hun.org>, "Nuno Teixeira" <nunotex@aeiou.pt>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-CURRENT" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail_enable="NONE" doesn't appear in rc.conf

From: "Daniel Flickinger" <attila@hun.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 11:48 AM

>     I have not checked recently, but 'make installworld' has
>     always trashed files:
>
>     /usr/sbin/sendmail
>     /usr/bin/mailq
>     /usr/bin/newaliases
>
>     which, in the default, are symbolic links to
>     /usr/sbin/mailwrapper.
>
>     Using postfix which installs its own /usr/sbin/sendmail
>     which is a program, not a symbolic link, I:
>
>     cd /usr/sbin
>     mv sendmail postmail
>     ln -s postmail sendmail

If installed from ports, Postfix installs a /user/local/sbin/sendmail which
does not interfere with the mailwrapper setup.  The port also fixes
/etc/mail/mailer.conf to point to the postfix binary instead of the sendmail
binary.  The only thing you need to watch is mergemaster putting the default
mailer settings back.

--K